What is your mission? How do you make it happen?
Our mission is to offer a community of support to women, of all Jewish backgrounds, diagnosed with breast cancer or at increased genetic risk, by fostering culturally-relevant individualized connections with networks of peers, health professionals, and related resources.
How is your organization unique?
Sharsheret is the only national organization that specializes in supporting young women and families of all Jewish backgrounds who are at increased risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer, and offers culturally-relevant individualized support to those who are newly diagnosed, in treatment, and post-treatment.
Who is your target audience?
We have an expertise in young women and Jewish families. All of our programs are open to all women and men.
How can people get involved?
You can help young women and their families facing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
– If you’re at high genetic risk or have been diagnosed with breast cancer or ovarian cancer, become a peer supporter—a Sharsheret Link—and connect to women who’ve been through what you’ve been through.
– Join our community of friends who develop or host Sharsheret programs and house events across the country.
– Join Team Sharsheret—athletes who run, walk, bike, and swim to support Sharsheret.
– Take the lead and spearhead a new fundraising or awareness initiative.
– Share your skills—Sharsheret is always looking for skilled volunteers to provide critical administrative support throughout the year.
– Join our events committee and help coordinate our annual benefit.
Spread the word:
– Tell young women with breast cancer or ovarian cancer—and those at risk for developing cancer—about the support Sharsheret offers.
– Speak to healthcare professionals and relevant community and healthcare organizations about the work Sharsheret is doing.
– Come hear us speak at conferences so that you can better support the families in your community that are facing breast and ovarian cancer.
– Request materials that you can hand out in your office, at your local community center, or through your organization.
– Raise awareness on your campus.
– Incorporate Sharsheret into milestone events, such as Bat and Bar Mitzvahs and wedding showers.
– Connect and engage with Sharsheret on our blog, website, and social media.
– Get to know your family’s history with cancer, and share it with others.
– Pitch a story about Sharsheret to your local media outlets.
Make a tax-deductible donation:
– Individual giving: Every gift, no matter the size, helps us build our community further.
– Major donors: For gifts of $5,000 and above, you can add a “Jewel” to Sharsheret’s chain of support
– Corporate partners: Benefit from the goodwill associated with supporting Sharsheret’s programs.
Who can volunteers contact?
For more information about volunteering with Sharsheret, please contact Office Manager Adina David at email@example.com or 866.474.2774.
This is part of a monthly series of posts, shining the spotlight on a nonprofit organization. There are so many organizations doing good work – if you have one in mind for a profile, please Contact Us!